Our good friends at A Matter of Taste Catering, who provide private chef services for our villa clients, recently shared with us their unique recipe for this exquisitely delightful Mexican favorite.
This savory sopa (soup) is full of deep, rich, sweet peppery flavor intensified by the roasting of the sweet red and yellow bell peppers. The charring or blackening of the skin (which is removed from the pepper before being incorporated into the soup) also helps preserve the vibrant colors of the flesh after the soup is fully cooked.
Serves 4: Serve hot or cold
3 red bell peppers
1 yellow bell pepper
1 white onion chopped
1 garlic glove crushed
3 cups vegetable stock
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
– Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
– Garnish with diced red and yellow peppers and a swirl of plain yogurt finishing with fresh chopped cilantro or green onions.
1. Cut the peppers in half. Remove the stems, and scrape out the seeds.
2. Line a broiler pan with foil or waxed paper and arrange the halved peppers skin side up in a single layer on the baking sheet. Broil until skins are black and blistered. (this can also be done on a gas stove or BBQ on an open flame)
3. Transfer the hot peppers to a plastic bag and leave until cool. Peel off the skins and discard. Roughly chop peppers
4. Put the onion, garlic and 2/3 cup of the stock in a large saucepan, Boil for about 5 min. until the stock reduces. Lower the heat and stir until the onion and garlic are soft and just beginning to color.
5. Sprinkle the flour over the onion, Gradually stir int he remaining stock.
6. Add the chopped, roasted peppers. Bring to a boil. Cover the saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Leave the soup to cool slightly then puree in a food processor or blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
8. Return to the saucepan to serve hot or leave at ambient temperature then refrigerate for several hours to serve chilled.
9. Garnish with chopped peppers or plain yogurt with cilantro.
To book A Matter of Taste Catering for your villa stay or event call our team at 1-800-745-2226. For a detailed menu visit A Matter of Taste Catering